These No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars are the perfect treat to make when you are craving a sweet and salty combination of flavors. Whether you are headed to a holiday cookie swap, need to bring a quick and easy dessert to a get together or even if you just feel like making these for yourself at home, you will not be disappointed in the decadent flavors of these bars.
The first time I tried one of these bars was a couple years ago at my (now) in-laws around Christmas time.I couldn’t believe how delicious they were. It tasted exactly like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup! I was immediately hooked on the sweet and salty flavors. When I asked my mother in law for the recipe, I jotted it down on my phone. I was surprised that there were only a few simple ingredients included in these bars. I was also impressed that they didn’t have to go in the oven, just the refrigerator!
Just recently I came across the recipe while I was trying to delete unnecessary notes off my phone. I immediately started craving the peanut butter and chocolatey goodness. I text Jorge right away to buy some chocolate chips and peanut butter to bring home so I could make them. I already had the other ingredients in my pantry.
When Jorge brought back the chocolate chips and peanut butter I immediately got to work making these bars. it was so simple! You only need 5 ingredients: butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar and chocolate chips. In no time I was putting a big pan of these bars in the refrigerator to let the chocolate top harden.
After about 2.5 hours in the refrigerator I pulled out the pan and gently pressed the chocolate layer with my finger to see if it had hardened. It did! Using a sharp knife, I cut the dessert into 24 bars. When I bit into one, it tasted exactly how I remembered: sweet, salty and decadent.
Between Jorge and I, the whole pan did not last more than 48 hours 🙂
These bars are a perfect dessert to bring to a holiday party or even given as a gift to a peanut butter and chocolate lover. Just place some bars in a decorative tin with tissue paper. Trust me, they will love them.
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Peanut Butter Layer
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 (10 oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Starting with the peanut butter layer, place butter and peanut butter in a medium size microwave safe bowl.2. Microwave on high for one minute, stirring mixture at the 30 second mark.
3. Add powdered sugar and brown sugar to the mixture. Stir to combine.
4. Press peanut butter mixture evenly into the bottom of a greased 13x9 pan.
5. Place chocolate chips and butter in a separate microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring mixture at 30 second intervals. Stir until smooth.6. Pour melted chocolate over peanut butter layer. Smooth chocolate evenly with a spatula.
7. Place pan in fridge for 2.5 hours or until chocolate layer has hardened.8. Cut into 24 squares with a sharp knife.